The Pittsburgh Pirates offense continues to sputter despite a quality effort from their starter.
Welcome to Takeaways & Throwaways. Shortly after every Pittsburgh Pirates game, come to Pirates Breakdown to see our flash recap format. We’ll tell you everything you need to know about the game, without making you read the same boring recap you can see anywhere else.
FINAL: Cincinnati Reds 6, Pittsburgh Pirates 2
- Jameson Taillon had a quality start for the second time to open his 2017 campaign. He gave up just two runs in six innings of work, striking out four and walking just one. His ability to limit walks is one of his main strengths. While he did walk three in his first start, it was encouraging to see him cut that to one tonight.
- Starling Marte continues to hit and show why he’s far and away the best offensive player for the Pirates. After going hitless in his first game of the season, he’s gotten a hit in each game since. He’ll need to keep knocking the cover off the ball if someone like Andrew McCutchen doesn’t turn his play around.
- The Pirates tried to rally late, but it fell short. It seems as though the Pirates have been able to hit bullpens much better than starters so far this year.
- Andrew McCutchen, while he did get on base twice, continues to strike out far too much. Tonight he took a pitch down the middle on a 3-2 count with a runner on third. That’s not something your star player does. He’s struck out eight times already this season, and if he doesn’t improve his play, I don’t think it’s farfetched to think he could lead the team in strikeouts.
- With the game close late, Trevor Williams served up a three-run home run to Scooter Genett to put the game out of reach. The bullpen has looked shaky at times this season. It’s certainly way too early to evaluate Trevor Williams, but I’ve never seen him as a part of a playoff bullpen.
- The attendance at the game was putrid to say the least. Yes it was raining most of the day, and yes the game was delayed, but the crowd was stil pitiful.
Line of the Night
Jameson Taillon notched another quality start as he looks to improve on an already-great rookie season.
6.0 IP | 4 H | 2 R | 2 ER | 1 BB | 4 SO | 1 HR
Player of the Game
The Pirates close out their series with the Reds tomorrow night at 7:05 PM. Ivan Nova looks to put in another good start as he faces off against rookie Amir Garrett, who will be making his second career start.