The Pittsburgh Pirates lost the second game of their series against the Arizona Diamondbacks by a score of 11-4. Tyler Glasnow did not make it through the third inning.
Welcome to Takeaways & Throwaways. Shortly after every Pittsburgh Pirates game, come to Pirates Breakdown to see our flash recap format. We’ll tell you everything you need to know about the game, without making you read the same boring recap you can see anywhere else.
FINAL: Arizona Diamondbacks 11, Pittsburgh Pirates 4
- Gregory Polanco has shown signs of life the last two games. Tonight he hit a bloop double in the first inning to drive in Josh Harrison and another single in the fifth to score Jordy Mercer.
- Josh Bell hit a long home run to left-center field in the fourth with Jose Osuna on base. This was Bell’s sixth home of the season and his third from the right side of the plate. Bell also drew a walk in the second inning.
- The team did a better job tonight of hitting with runners in scoring position going 3-for-5. In addition, all the team’s runs were collected with two outs.
- Tyler Glasnow pitched just 2 and 1/3rd innings. He looked fine through the first two innings, collecting 3 strikeouts to go with a walk and no earned runs. Then in the third, he started throwing batting practice for the Diamondbacks. In that inning alone he gave up two singles, a walk, a double, a triple and two home runs. When the dust settled, Arizona had sent 11 men to the plate and scored 7 runs. Somewhere in there Josh Lindblom relieved Glasnow and recorded the final two outs of the inning.
- However, Josh Lindblom didn’t do much better than Glasnow, going 3 and 2/3rds innings and allowing 8 hits and 4 earned runs. Lindblom and Glasnow’s combined line reads 6 IP, 15 hits, 11 ER, 8K, 2 BB.
- It was great to see David Freese back in the lineup, but his first game back in action wan’t so great. Freese went 0-for-3 on the night with two strikeouts. Two of his outs ended the inning with a runner on third base.
Line Of the Night
Gregory Polanco: 2-4, 2 RBI, K
Vote in our Player of the Game Poll
After each game, win or lose, Pirates Breakdown will ask YOU for your Pittsburgh Pirates player of the game. Hop over to our twitter to cast your vote!
The Pirates gave up another big inning in tonight's 11-4 loss to the D'Backs. Who was your Player of the Game?
— Pirates Breakdown (@pbcbreakdown) May 13, 2017
Next up is game three of the four game series. The Pittsburgh Pirates send Trevor Williams to the mound for his second start of the season. Williams was roughed up in his last start against the Los Angeles Dodgers, giving up 6 runs in 3 innings. The Diamondbacks counter with Taijuan Walker, a big, strong right-hander that Arizona acquired from the Seattle Mariners in the off-season as part of the Jean Segura trade. Walker has a 3.83 ERA and is striking out a batter per inning in his work so far this season. The Pirates have both Freese and Adam Frazier back from the disabled list so expect to see more of them in the final two games of the series.