The Pittsburgh Pirates lose the first of a three game series to cross-state rivals the Philadelphia Phillies in a 7-2 Friday-night snoozer.
Welcome to Takeaways & Throwaways. Shortly after every Pittsburgh Pirates game, come to Pirates Breakdown to see our flash recap format. We’ll tell you everything you need to know about the game, without making you read the same boring recap you can see anywhere else.
FINAL: Philadelphia Phillies 7, Pittsburgh Pirates 2
- In Spring Training, Trevor Williams battled Tyler Glasnow for that last roster spot and lost. When Jameson Taillon went on the DL for testicular cancer, Williams, working for the bullpen, was added to the starting rotation. He had a difficult start in LA but bounced back since. He was efficient, with a 9-pitch first inning and a 12-pitch fifth inning, and delivered five solid innings before giving up two runs in the the sixth to outfielder Aaron Altherr and first baseman Tommy Joseph respectively that gave the Phillies a one-run lead. He threw 93 pitches, 68 for strikes in 5.2 innings.
- The team effort on the pick off of centerfielder Odubel Herrera in the 6th inning. Sure, it was a basic baseball play, but sometimes, simple is perfect. #Teamwork #BeautifulBaseball
- The Bucs racked up 2 runs in the 1st inning, Josh Harrison on a Josh Bell double and Bell on a throwing error that allowed Francisco Cervelli to reach first. After that, though, the bats fell silent.
- Fielding errors in the 9th – First Josh Bell misses a fly ball in right, then David Freese overthrows first allowing third baseman Maikel Franco and short stop Freddy Galvis to reach base.
- Tony Watson – he gave up a lead-off pop up hit and then a home run to Phillies catcher Cameron Rupp. #Ugh
Line of the Night
Josh Bell was a bright spot in an otherwise quiet night – in 4 at-bats he scored 1 run, had 2 hits and 1 RBI.
Vote in Our Player of the Game Poll
After each game, win or lose, Pirates Breakdown will ask YOU for your Pittsburgh Pirates player of the game. Hop over to our twitter to cast your vote!
Pirates suffer a let down to the Phillies and lose 7-2. Who is your player of the game?
— Pirates Breakdown (@pbcbreakdown) May 20, 2017
Thanks for checking us out here at Pirates Breakdown. Follow us on Twitter and Instagram and like us on Facebook. And be sure to download our App for instant access to the best Pirates coverage all year long!